If you’ve wanted a PlayStation 5 controller with more customizable features, Sony will solve that problem next month with the DualSense Edge. From button remapping to stick sensitivity, this pricy peripheral could make all the difference in your experience gaming on the PS5.
The DualSense Edge shares many similarities to the XBOX Elite controller. Both come with a carrying case, multiple swappable thumbstick caps, and additional triggers. However, Sony’s version is a bit more expensive. While the Elite is $179, the Edge will be $199.99 when it launches on January 26th, 2023. The PS5 controller is available exclusively through the PlayStation Store.
If you have the official PS5 controller charger, the Edge is compatible with that hardware. That being said, there should be no issue using the other licensed third-party docks with the Edge unless Sony somehow made charging of the controller proprietary.
Regarding how much this thing differs from the PS5’s original DualSense controllers, much of the peripheral is the same besides the additional buttons. The grips retain the same slip-resistant surface, and the touchpad appears to be the same size. The USB-C port, however, has changed a little. The included lockable connector housing will keep the USB cable hooked to your controller. Honestly, I wasn’t aware that this was an issue that needed to be addressed.
- Quick access profile settings menu: Simply press the Fn button and Options button while in game to open the customization menu, where you can quickly change your settings.
- Remappable buttons: Customize the control layout of your favorite games so the commands you need are always exactly where you want them to be. Save your button configurations to your player profile and switch between them without leaving your game.
- Adjustable triggers, stick sensitivity & vibration intensity: Configure your stick sensitivity, stick dead zones, and trigger dead zones for finely tuned inputs, and even set your vibration intensity for a completely customized play experience.
- Quick-swap control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on-the-fly, so your favourite configurations are always ready when you are.
Here’s what’s included in the box:
- DualSense Edge wireless controller
- USB braided cable
- 2 Standard caps (attached to the controller)
- 2 High dome caps
- 2 Low dome caps
- 2 Half dome back buttons
- 2 Lever back buttons
- Connector housing
- Carrying case
- Instruction manual
In case one of the stick modules happens to break on the DualSense Edge, Sony offers up replacements for $19.99. This part will also launch with the controller on January 26th.
Will you be picking up this new PlayStation controller? Let us know below![Source: PlayStation]