‘Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie’ is a romantic comedy manga created by Keigo Maki that is being serialized in the Kodansha magazine ‘Magazine Pocket.’ The rom-com launched in 2019 and has thus far produced twelve volumes. Its popularity led to the Japanese animation studio Doga Kobo picking it up for an anime adaptation under director Ryota Itoh that was launched in April 2022 and Crunchyroll announcing they are picking up the series for an English dub.
“She’s beauty, she’s grace, and she just might kick you in the face — the intensely adorable Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie is the latest Spring 2022 anime to get the English dub treatment,” they said on their website, noting that the first episode dropped to April 23, 2022.
Crunchyroll released the cast list:
- Macy Anne Johnson (Chiyuki in Smile Down the Runway) as Shikimori
- Bryson Baugus (Bell in Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) as Izumi
- Clifford Chapin (Bakugo in My Hero Academia) as Inuzuka
- Michelle Rojas (Roxy in Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation) as Nekozaki
- Molly Zhang (Adachi’s Manager in Adachi and Shimamura) as Hachimitsu
- Lydia Mackay (Kyoko in Fruits Basket) as Motoko
- Mark Stoddard (Oishi in Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU) as Akisada
Emily Fajardo is working as the ADR director with Mark Allen Jr. and Tia Ballard serving as assistant ADR directors.
You can watch this official dub clip below:
MyAnimeList describes the synopsis as follows:
“Shikimori seems like the perfect girlfriend: cute, fun to be around, sweet when she wants to be… but she has a cool dark side that comes out under the right circumstances. And her boyfriend Izumi loves to be around when that happens!”
Shōhei Yamanaka is serving as the anime’s assistant director with Ai Kikuchi working on the character designs and Yoshimi Narita handling the scriptwriting details.
Kondasha USA has been publishing the manga in North America since October 2020 and (as of the writing of this article) has released the first eight volumes of ‘Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie.’