Garfield. Oh, genuinely, I’m not too fond of that lazy cat. Yet he keeps showing up in my news feed like a bad penny. A nasty, chubby, lasagna-obsessed penny. First, we learned that the suction cup plushie Garfield trend was coming back. Now it has been revealed that the orange cat who hates Mondays is being included in Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl … for free.
The news came down from the fighting game’s official Twitter account. Yup. Garfield will be included as a free bit of DLC on December 9th. The game is available on Playstation, XBOX, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.
— Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl (@NickBrawlGame) December 7, 2021
The game appears to be sitting in the 60-70 range on Metacritic between the multiple consoles. Looking at the gameplay, it is very reminiscent of Super Smash Brothers. I mean, there’s more than just a passing resemblance. But, to give it credit, the reviews point to a pretty solid experience where classic and new Nickelodeon characters and Viacom-acquired IPs get to beat the crap out of each other.
For those of us who grew up with Nicktoons in the early and mid-1990s, it’s a fun little flashback. Given that Nick now has so many IPs under its belt, the roster should be pretty robust in the coming year.
According to PCGamer, the lineup of characters at the title’s launch were as follows:
- Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
- April O’Neil (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- CatDog (CatDog)
- Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
- Helga (Hey Arnold!)
- Korra (The Legend of Korra)
- Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Lincoln Loud (The Loud House)
- Lucy Loud (The Loud House)
- Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Nigel Thornberry (The Wild Thornberrys)
- Oblina (Aahh!! Real Monsters)
- Patrick Star (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Powdered Toast Man (Ren & Stimpy)
- Ren Höek (Ren & Stimpy)
- Reptar (Rugrats)
- Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Stimpy J. Cat (Ren & Stimpy)
- Zim (Invader Zim)
Note that April, Mikey, and Leo are based on the 1987 TMNT animated series and not on the newer Nick cartoons.
Since the game launched in October, no new characters have been added. It’s just too bad they had to sour it with Garfield. F’ing Garfield. What’s next? Nermal, too? Ahhhh!
Have you played the cartoony fighting game? If so, let us know what you think about it in the comments.