Based on the surrealist comedy manga by Bkub Okawa, ‘Pop Team Epic’ is anime series from the Japanese film studio Kamikaze Douga. They produced the 2018 first season’s sixteen episodes. Space Neko Company joined in with the animation for the 2022 second season. Crunchyroll has acquired the license to produce an English, revealing the cast on their website.
The voice actors were announced as:
- Gwendolyn Lau (Sheska in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) as Popuko A
- Lydia Mackay (Kyoko in Fruits Basket) as Pipimi A
- Bill Jenkins (Sebas in Overlord) as Popuko B
- Greg Dulcie (Hijikata in Golden Kamuy) as Pipimi B
- Christopher R. Sabat (All Might in My Hero Academia) as Popuko (Bob)
- Ian Sinclair (Narrator in Kaguya-sama: Love is War) as Pipimi (Bob)
- Rachel Thompson (Lilac in Recovery of an MMO Junkie) as Rabbit
Cris George was tapped as the ADR Director, Dallas Reid as the assistant ADR Director, and Emily Neves joined the project as the scriptwriter.
You can watch the teaser below:
The show was directed by Aoi Umeki for the first season with Jun Aoki taking over for its follow-up. Aoki also serves as a writer for the anime along with Yūichirō Kido.
MyAnimeList describes the synopsis as follows,
“Poputepipikku turns absurdist comedy up to eleven with its pop culture references and surreal hilarity. With two bonafide high school girl protagonists—the short and exceptionally quick to anger Popuko, and the tall and unshakably calm Pipimi—they throw genres against the wall and don’t wait to see what sticks. Parody is interlaced with drama, action, crudeness, and the show’s overarching goal—to become a real anime.”
The show got rebranded as ‘Pop Team Epic Repeat’ which “remixes” the show with additional and alternative animation as well as redubbing the characters with different voice actors for Japanese and English versions.