Amazon Studios made the announcement that several new actors and actresses are joining the second season of ‘The Rings of Power,’ their Prime Video adaption of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth works.
They announced the new cast members in a press release:
- Gabriel Akuwudike (Hanna, War of the Worlds, Ridley Road, Berlin Station, Cursed)
- Yasen ‘Zates’ Atour (The Witcher, Robin Hood, Dark Heart, Young Wallander)
- Ben Daniels (Jupiter’s Legacy, Law & Order: UK, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, The Normal Heart)
- Amelia Kenworthy (A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Messenger, IRL)
- Nia Towle (Late, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, They Found Her In A Field)
- Nicholas Woodeson (The Hustle, Paddington 2, The Danish Girl, Skyfall)
Aside from the new cast members, one role has received a new actor. The Urik and Orc leader Adar was played by Joseph Mawle (Ripper Street, Troy: Fall of a City, Waking The Dead, Game of Thrones) in season one. He has departed the role with Sam Hazeldine (The Last Duel, The Huntsman: Winter’s War, Mechanic: Resurrection) being announced to take over the villainous role.
Amazon Studios Head of Global Television Vernon Sanders said, “Since its premiere, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power has been bringing audiences together to experience the magic and wonder of J.R.R. Tolkien’s magnificent Middle-earth.”
He added, “To date, season one is the top Original series for Prime Video in every region and has been viewed by over 100 million people worldwide, a truly global hit that speaks to the universal nature of powerful storytelling. We welcome these wonderful actors to our ‘fellowship’ and look forward to telling more incredible Second Age stories in season two.”
Season one showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay are returning to tackle the second season which has begun production in the United Kingdom.