‘Blue Lock’ is a sports thriller manga written by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and illustrated by Yusuke Nomura. The ongoing series has been published by Kodansha since 2018. The Japanese animation studio Eight Bit picked it up for an anime in the Fall of 2022. Crunchyroll picked it up for release in the United States and will produce an English dub.
They released the cast list on their website:
- Ricco Fajardo (Mirio in My Hero Academia) as Isagi
- Derick Snow (Shinra in Fire Force) as Ego
- Drew Breedlove as Bachira
- Alex Hom (Yoshida in Higehiro) as Kunigami
- Aaron Dismuke (Senku in Dr. STONE) as Chigiri
- Lee George (Appare in APPARE-RANMAN!) as Gagamaru
- Alejandro Saab (Miyamura in Horimiya) as Sae
- Matthew David Rudd (Atsushi in Shoot! Goal to the Future) as Baro
- Kasi Hollowell (Olivia in The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody) as Anri
- Kyle Igneczi (Bisco in SABIKUI BISCO) as Igarashi
- Aaron Campbell (Gauma in SSSS.DYNAZENON) as Raichi
- Mark Allen Jr. (Souta in My Senpai is Annoying) as Kuon
- Anthony DiMascio (Fudo in Love After World Domination) as Iemon
- Spencer Liles (Takumu in Aoashi) as Naruhaya
- Jesse Pinnick as Imamura
- David Matranga (Yuichi in Tomodachi Game) as Ikki
- Monty Thompson (Narrator in Love After World Domination) as Okawa
- Garrett Schecnk (Go-Shirakawa in The Heike Story) as Buratsuta
- Bill Jenkins (Sebas in Overlord) as Issei
- Katie Stone as Iyo
- Blake Shepard (Soma in Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma) as Kira
- Cole Feuchter (Asakura in Ishida and Asakura) as Tada
The anime is directed by Tetsuaki Watanabe and Shunsuke Ishikawa with Taku Kishimoto working as the writer.
You can watch the trailer below:
MyAnimeList describes the synopsis as follows,
“After reflecting on the current state of Japanese soccer, the Japanese Football Association decides to hire the enigmatic and eccentric coach Jinpachi Ego to achieve their dream of winning the World Cup. Believing that Japan has lacked an egoistic striker hungry for goals, Jinpachi initiates the Blue Lock—a prison-like facility where three hundred talented strikers from high schools all over Japan are isolated and pitted against each other. The sole survivor of Blue Lock will earn the right to become the national team’s striker, and those who are defeated shall be banned from joining the team forever.
Selected to join this risky project is Yoichi Isagi, a striker who failed to bring his high school soccer team to the national tournament. After choosing to pass to a teammate who missed instead of scoring on his own, he could not help but wonder if the results would have been different had he been more selfish. Using this golden opportunity given by the Blue Lock Project, Yoichi aims to clear his doubts and chase his ultimate desire—to become the greatest striker in the world and lead Japan to World Cup glory.”
The manga has a spin-off titled ‘Blue Lock: Episode Nagi’ written and illustrated by Kōta Sannomiya.